Saturday, November 22, 2008

Black Listed!!

Ok...so I was awaken at 6:25 a.m by my cell phone buzzing on the bed. It was my son, wanting me to give my wife the fastest directions to his high school so he can make it to his 7:30 a.m practice on time. Well, first of all you get up on time...no I didn't say that, but I was thinking it! :) They seemed stressed enough...lol. I hooked them up but now what...I'm up and once that mind gets going...the energy flows! I've got the song "Tie My Hands" (by Robin Thicke featuring Lil Wayne) on my mind, it's a song about New Orleans, rebuilding and the after affects of hurricane Katrina. Great song! I play it on my iPod and get moving.

We won the first game of the Glenn Wilkes Classic yesterday. It was a good team win vs Marshall University. A team win, cause everybody contributed. I was proud of them for bouncing back after the tough loss in NYC. After the game I went back to the hotel to chill while the assistant coaches scouted the rest of the field for our remaining games. I happen to catch a show on HBO called "The Black List". Wow! It was a powerful and I'm gonna try to get it to show to the fellas on one of those long bus rides we have during the season. The show was a series of interviews/testimonies with prominent African American figures (entertainers, athletes, artist, political figures, dancers etc. all kind of folks) discussing their "Ah" moment or significant moments in their lives. They shared in depth details of what helped get them through the barrier(s). They talked about events/people/moments that made impacts on their lives and you could feel the sincerity. Well, at least I could! Put it this way, I really enjoyed the piece! Colin Powell talked about hearing that people always referred to him as the token black or that he only had his position because they needed a black (folks don't really know you or your struggle so press forward young man...be above the nonsense). Puffy reflecting on how he carried himself and spoke of himself as the next Berry Gordy while a student at Howard University (positive thinking/ you are what you think you are). One of Al Sharpton's closet friends was James Brown (You can process your hair & lay it back to son! LOL), naw, Sharpton had some good stuff too! Just a lil light moment ya'll...

After watching some tape on Utah, our opponent today, I shut it down. Utah has a 7-2 center and big time shooters on the perimeter. In other words...a huge challenge looms folks! But that's what this thing is all about! Dream big baby! Dream Big! I'm excited and want to jump it up RIGHT NOW! We got shoot-a-round at 10 a.m and we play at 4...

No comments: