Monday, September 22, 2008

Homie Don't Play That!

Man…all I needed was a red nose and some extra big shoes and they would have been calling me Homie da Clown. I have a friend I grew up with that approached me back in the summer, during my camp at the Bowie Gym, and asked if I could conduct a semi clinic/birthday party for her son, Freddie. I told her I would take care of her but told her to call me later after I was done recruiting, etc. and we would talk. I had every intention to get someone to do the birthday party for her (someone to do it right now, not just to do it). Anyway, I agreed to the birthday party and to have my son, Blake, and my nephew, Okoye, assist me. WOW!

WOW again! Hey, I entertained those 5 and 6 year olds for almost 2 hours and they completely wore me out! They were cute kids and energetic but not particularly interested in the finer points of what we refer to as basketball. We did trick them into learning or participating in ball handling drills and some of the parents were amazed that we were able to hold their attention the way we did. We did relay races, played duck, duck goose and dribble tag, etc. and when the gym monitor told me the time was up….whew! I don’t know who was happier, my helpers or me! My body was beat up for sure, having played the women’s softball team Saturday and entertaining the land of the little people on Sunday, but I got my church on earlier and the Redskins won so…all is good! Some parents actually asked me if I did this on a regular basis for birthday parties and after a nice laugh, I told them…NO WAY! :) That was my first and last time! Homie Da Clown won’t have to worry about me!

No comments: