Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Embracing....

I think I'm learning some things about this team. I think that it's definitely a team that has to grind everyday in practice. With the new guys, the young guys and the personalities of the veterans, this team has to grind out in practice everyday. What I mean by grind is that we have to go hard and rough it up everyday. Some teams you can have light days etc. but not this group. At least not right now anyway.

I shared with them a conversation that my son had with one of his uncles. His uncle (my wife's uncle) Dave Bing, was a great player at Spingarn High School in D.C (All-Met) and a great player at Syracuse University (All-American) and a NBA Hall of Famer from his days with the Detroit Pistons. He not only was a great player but he has been one of the few old timers to successfully transition into the business world by establishing a million dollar Steel Company, Big Steel. Tough times right now, but you get the point. Anyway, Dave and I were talking one day and I asked him to speak with Blake and give him 2 things that he did that helped him achieve the goals he set for himself. One was to obviously to get an education (work hard in school) and the second one was to embrace practice! I thought that was huge and it said alot about why Dave has had the success that he has had for so long. Embrace practice says so much...you have to learn to enjoy the hard work that goes into getting better.

We had practice this morning at 6:30 a.m and leave for Chicago this evening (8:30 p.m) to play DePaul tomorrow night. We come back Thursday and will give the fellas off for a couple of days to finish up exams for the semester. After that I hope they learn to really embrace practice or practice will surely embrace them! :) Yeah....

No comments: